30 November, 2013

Triathlete, meet Cyclocross

A Race Report, of sorts

A well-known inspirational quote challenges us to do something everyday that scares us.  Today it was Cyclocross.

No, Cyclocross, or CX, is not inherently scary at all.  Just some Euro-style off-road bicycle racing on a beautiful day at a local municipal park.  For me, the 'scary' was riding a strange bike, clipping MTB pedals, clambering over strange terrain and negotiating obstacles.

Obstacles?  We triathletes don't do no stinking obstacles!  Other than random seaweed beds or a dropped bottle at the exchange, triathlon is blissfully obstacle-free.  Nope, not CX.  There were hills and drops and jumps and a sand volleyball court to cross twice each lap, to name a few.

So, this little venture into the unknown was a wee scary.  Especially after watching some You Tube videos pre-race.  What have I gotten into?

To be precise, I got myself into the first annual Turkey Cross in Loudon, TN.

Here's my cautious start - that's me in the back, FRCC orange logos and red sleeves.



Then the adrenaline kicked in.

Then the hypoxia.

And all the scary was gone.

Replaced by a wheezing, gasping, red-lined pile of flesh, grinning when I could summon the oxygen, as captured here.  (And what lovely weather we had!)



Honestly, it was FUN.  Once I got the hang of the course and the obstacles, and all that pesky dismounting and mounting (mental note: add to "Skills to Improve in 2014" list), I liked it.  I liked the challenge.  I liked learning new things.  I liked the event atmosphere.  I liked the supporters and hecklers alike (my beau Mr. Burl fits both categories).  And, we all really liked the fresh pommes frites with homemade dijonnaise, compliments of Southern Cycling!

I liked it enough to seriously consider selling my mountain bike for a CX bike.  Which, truth be told, I'm not in love with that beast anyway - heavy, unwieldy thing that it is.

Fact is, short-course Triathlon is my primary goal these days.  And that 37+ minutes to complete three loops of CX scariness was some of the best anaerobic training (average HR = 176 bpm) and bike handling that money can buy.  I sense a nice synergy here... perhaps the 2014 season will have a CX after-party?

Wait a minute.  This is a race report!  How did I do?

I finished!  Three whole loops!  The CX Cat 4 Ladies that won did four loops (I got lapped by the winner at the end).  And I was not last.  8th out of 9!

And huge THANKS to Rebekah for talking me into this! And loaning the bike!!  Much appreciation for Burly, Scott, Allison, Sharon, Jimmy and Gregg for the on-site cheers and jeers!

What scary thing did you do today?

1 comment:

  1. It was almost as much fun to watch I think. If folks aren't brave enough to roll up and race I highly recommend going to spectate. This is one of the most fun events this side of the Atlantic. Friendly European atmosphere all around.

    ReplyDelete