23 November, 2013

Thankfully Not Sick!

It's already the week before Thanksgiving, and I'm simply thankful that I'm not sick.  Last year, something took hold of my body (and my husband's) and wreaked total havoc.  Following the post-race season letdown and a crazy stretch at work, I was stricken with vertigo, chills, GI ugliness, fever and exhaustion.  Thanksgiving consisted of a missed 10K race and canned soup while curled up on the sofa.

Fast forward one year.  New job and new boss.  Still tired post-season, and still not sleeping well.  I learn every day to listen a little closer to my body, and this week it said, "take it easy, lady."  One very long workday and I missed Thursday's run.  And yesterday I was still not feeling it, so skipped a 2400-yd swim (and all the unavoidable disease-covered surfaces at they gym).

I really hate missing workouts.  Hate it.  But, after last year, I'm not second-guessing the decisions.

I awoke feeling okay.  Today was a cool 50 degF at mid-day, with the sun veiled in thin clouds.  My husband and I enjoyed a lovely Field Run test - eight minutes to go hypoxic!  It's been over nine months since Coach Max prescribed one.  My maximum heart rate was 181, versus 184 in February.  The pace today was 7:18/mile, a bit slower than the previous 7:02/mile.  Not sure what to make of that, except that 1. I'm slower (really?!) and 2. a few hours later, I'm ready to pass out.

My body might be telling me something again (like, get more rest!)

We'll see if tomorrow's 3-hour group bike ride happens.  The HIGH temperature is predicted to be a balmy 39 degF, and even though [I hope] I have the right gear, I wonder if my body is up to it.  I'm gonna sleep on it... because that's probably what I need more than anything else.

Here's to making it another week, and hopefully to the start line of that 10K on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment