18 December, 2013

Prescription: 30 Burpees


30 burpees really can cure what ails you!  Yes, burpees.  Those infernal middle school gym exercises?  Yes, those.  "Squat thrusts" as we called them, through gritted 8-year-old teeth.  And we HATED them.

After a blissful [I-didn't-know-I-even-missed-you] 30-year absence from my life, burpees returned.  Via an email from Coach Max.

"...I want to challenge you outside the usual triathlete box. You two strike me as the adventuresome type and may be up for this. This challenge is not for entertainment. It's real. ... It's simple; 30 burpees for 30 days."

You might imagine the subsequent incredulous snorts and chuckles from me and Burly, as I read this aloud.  We often joke about whether Coach Max might just be trying to kill us.  He's pretty deliberate with our workouts, and this was no laughing matter.

"What say you? Are you in? Here's a charming meat head demo. Form is everything."


Burly ignored the taunt.  Smart guy.  Me?  Not so much; I took the bait.

"That's like... 900 burpees."

Undaunted, Coach Max embraced my skeptical 'enthusiasm' with his reply.

"It is a indeed a big deal. Go for it! Go for it now."

That was two days ago.  Monday was my rest day, so, umm, no starting then.  And Tuesday was a tough run, with planks and push-ups mixed in, so, umm, clearly no starting then.  Anyone else smell a pattern?

Today, however, I actually took the challenge.  I don't know why today.  Work was, let's just say, less than rewarding, and my return commute was filled with a downward spiral of loathesome career reflection.  Once at the house, it took the prompting of a few Facebook 'motivations' to get me into workout clothes.  

My calendar called for four rounds of mountain climbers and air squats.  Did I mention Coach Max steals Cross Fit ideas to 'challenge' me with?  In full disclosure, I did ask for more strength training this off-season.  He doesn't disappoint.

Once the mountain climbing and air squatting was through, I took a few minutes to procrastinate/play with The Yellow Cat.  Then I got started on those first 30 burpees.  

And they were the ugliest, saddest, fattest, formless, heaving burpees ever attempted!  Utterly ridiculous.  It took me over eight minutes to finish.  Really.  Holy crap, that was hard!

But, I did all 30.

And I'll do them again tomorrow.

Yup.  I will.

WTH?  Why?

Because when I finally knocked out #29 and #30, I laid on the floor and started laughing.  I felt beaten and humbled, and it was GREAT!  All that self-defeating nonsense from work that clouded my ride home was gone.  Nowhere to be found!  Every one of those burpees absolutely sucked, and the sum of it was exactly what I needed to set my head straight.

Got my feet up the wall to enjoy my favorite yoga recovery and laughed some more while The Yellow Cat came over to congratulate me and steal more attention!


870 burpees to go.  Let's see if 30 burpees can cure Thursday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment