03 July, 2015

Race Report, Part II: Challenge Atlantic City Triathlon Half 2015

Part II of my Challenge Atlantic City​ 2015 Half race report. It's crazy long, but hey it was a crazy long race!  If you missed Part I, click here.

Overall, it was a day filled with challenges, for everyone, but an experience I enjoyed.

Early to rise for a 6:05 start.  Traffic volume was crazy high at 5:00, so we had a 15-minute delay getting into and parked at Bader Field.  I was thankful to have AWD as we were spotted at the end of a very wet field and already seeing some cars getting stuck in the growing mud.  We passed over paved areas unused for parking, but we saw post-race that they filled that with cars as well.  The storm from Saturday turned many parts of the field into a small ponds and mudholes.

Quickly over to transition, worried that we only had 20 minutes to set up.  Almost ready, with five minutes to spare, we heard an announcement they were delaying the start fifteen minutes due to the slow parking process.

It was foggy and sprinkling, but over 70 degF.  The water temperatures was announced as 74 degF, and many loudly rejoiced to pull on wetsuits.  I went without, feeling comfortable from the practice swim.  We gathered by the water and the RD announced more delay waiting for a final okay from the water safety team.  It was a mixed response as the fog was starting to break up and blue skies were peeking through.  I’d guess the total delay was thirty minutes and the Half men started filing in for a time trial start, three or four jumping in at a time.  The water level was three feet higher than Saturday due to recent high tide.  The start went quickly, with all men in the water in five minutes.  Then the rest of the Half racers!

We swam against the current to start the long rectangular course. I didn’t notice the current too much as I started to find my rhythm.  The 74 degF water felt refreshing but not cold, even sans wetsuit.  Some passed me; I passed others.  It never felt too crowded with the TT start.  The channel is narrow, so although there never seemed to be enough site buoys (it always feels that way from water level!), I could easily navigate between the banks and towards the bridge. Very quick around Turns 1 and 2, then down the long back stretch.  As we approached the third turn buoy, I could sense the stronger current and tried to tack upstream to not overshoot the fourth buoy.  This worked well for me, but not for the dozen or so other swimmers that suddenly were all up in my space!  Hello!  Now we turned into the current and it was significant.  The water was also choppier in this more open section and I got several face-fulls of salty water.  Coughing and sputtering, I changed my stroke to get higher in the water to sight, breathe and pass several struggling on this final section.  Costly effort, but necessary.  When we reached the dock, the volunteers tried to pull me up the ramp until I cried, “STOP!” as my right calf knotted up.  Breathe.  Ow.  Breathe.  Okay, finally up.  I apologized to the volunteer and explained, “leg cramp!” as I limped off the dock.

So glad that was over!

And then the glorious sight of the back end of a firetruck with a fresh water shower.  I took full advantage to wash out my nose, mouth, kit... so long NJ nasty water!

My stomach was queasy in T1.  I guess the unplanned “electrolyte loading” will do that.  I toweled off my arms, spray tri-slide on my wrists and pulled on a bolero to cover my shoulders, neck and arms.  A lovely volunteer came over to help me.  I also opted for socks and road shoes.  Not hurried; I wanted to be ready for a three-hour bike ride.  It was still misting and cloudy.

The bike exit from Bader field was sandy and wet, but the CAC crew laid down long carpeted mats.  It felt a little like biking on shifty soil but was over quickly.  Onto the roads.  Lots of people with flats; six in the first four miles.  I saw several more along the course, losing count after twenty.  Not surprising after the storm.

The clouds started to burn off and it was blue skies and sun!   A light breeze turned into a finishing tailwind for the last six miles or so.  Very scenic ride.  A few spots of heavy traffic, but mostly quiet country.  Flat, with some false flats.  Big-ring time-trialing for 58 miles.  Yup, the course was long, but that happens.  We had a mix of dedicated bike lanes, wide shoulders and quiet country roads that could use some re-surfacing.  I found the course well-marked, with one aid station we passed at about 15 and again at 42 miles or so.  I grabbed a bottle of water each time.  It was never crowded.  The one course oddity was a detour of a busy intersection by way of a WaWa Food Mart parking lot.  It seemed suddenly narrow and twisty, but negotiable.

This bike course was a mix of locked-in TT and many turns.  I’m always disappointed at how much opportunity triathletes miss by lacking cornering and bike-handling skills.  I passed many; got passed by two ladies, including a teammate on a relay team, and two men.  The course includes two miles on the AC Expressway, both out and back, so I enjoyed rolling at 29 mph through a toll booth with the wind at my backside!  Good little ride.

Back into T2 and again took time to apply sunscreen, change socks and tie my shoes (no speed laces this time) and also say “hey” to teammates relaxing post-relay and AB.

We exited onto a section of tarmac, out Bader Field and across held traffic to run down Albany Avenue to the Boardwalk. The police did a great job with this section and hundreds of thrilled drivers!  Once on the Boardwalk the sun begin it’s two-hour beat down.  I had planned run-walk intervals but found the aid station spacing was inconsistent, so I pretty much stopped at every aid station to control my body temperature with ice and water, and my interval plan was tossed.  All the aid stations were very cheerfully staffed and met my needs.

I ended up using a public bathroom around mile 5 when I realized, and confirmed by volunteers, that no portable toilets were provided (due to the presence of public toilets).

Most of the first half of the run I enjoyed cheering for other runners and started to see my teammates and clubmates along the way.  Everyone was really spread out and the South end of the Boardwalk is more residential and less crowded. Plenty of folks out for their own Sunday morning runs.  Heading North for the next turnaround I passed the lively finish line, hearing names called as they grabbed their medals, and I still had over 10K to go!

As the run wore on, I wore down, cheering less and trying to find some motivation to just keep running.  The Boardwalk was easier on the legs, but I got a bit tired of dodging oblivious tourists along the middle sections.  Three more turn-arounds and finally into the finish, grinning like a fool!

I got my medal, ice-water towel (thank you!!) and bottle of water and immediately found my husband and friends to high-five and hug.  Post-race food was nearby (a local food truck), as well as the finisher shirt pick-up.  After eating and cheering for more folks at the finish, we got the shuttle bus back to Bader Field, making more new friends and sharing tales.

Following the usual routine of retrieving everything, hanging the wet stuff, showering and resting, we walked back to the Boardwalk to enjoy dinner with friends.  The last three hours of the night, a small group of us joined some official race volunteers and staff to cheer for Full distance runners on the Boardwalk.  Some truly gutsy folks out there on that lonely course! The final finisher crossed the line  at 23:50 and we were all treated to the laser light show at Boardwalk Hall.

The final weekend event was a breakfast buffet at Bally’s and Full awards ceremony on Monday morning.  The Friday dinner was more impressive, but this was still a lovely touch to enjoy as part of a race entry and close the event.  The race team was clearly tired but hosted us with smiles!

I met my weekend goals to enjoy the race, even the unmotivated parts of the run (sigh).  I knocked off over 28 minutes from my last Half two years back, improving everywhere, except for slower transitions and despite an extra two miles biked.  It felt good; bring on the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment